Discipline Convenor: A/Professor Manolete Mora
The Bachelor of Music (UNSW BMus) - is a four year, full time degree in which you will complete:
- Core courses in music performance, musicianship and musicology
- Your choice of specialist music stream (see options below)
- Extensive training in ensemble skills and professional practices
- Free elective courses that give you the flexibility to combine your music studies with complementary areas
Specialist Music Streams
- Music Creative Practice – Develop high level performance or compositional skills
- Music Inquiry – Studies in historical musicology, ethnomusicology, and the psychology of music
- Sonic Arts – Develop technical and creative skills in Electro-Acoustic music, linked with Media Studies
- Music Pedagogy – Provides specialist study in studio music teaching and preparation for further Music Education studies
For a full list of courses available in Music in 2013, please click here.
DEGREE OPTIONS AVAILABLE
Bachelor of Music / Bachelor of Arts (BMus/BA) - A five-year dual degree program that combines the professional training of the BMus program with a major and minor within the BA program.
Bachelor of Music / Bachelor of Education (BMus/BEd) - A five-year dual degree program that combines a professional teaching qualification with a specialist degree in music. You will develop skills, knowledge and understanding relevant to teaching secondary students. The program also introduces issues of professional ethics and responsibilities. You will build your teaching skills and experience through practicum placements in high schools.
Bachelor of Music / Bachelor of Science (BMus/BSci) - A five-year dual degree program that combines the professional training of the BMus program with a major from Science.
Bachelor of Music / Bachelor of Science (Advanced Science) - A six-year dual degree program that combines the professional training of the BMus program with a program in Advanced Science, including a project or thesis.
Bachelor of Music / Bachelor of Engineering (BMus/BEng) - This program will not be offered in 2013 - A six and a half-year dual degree program that combines the professional training of both the BMus program and Engineering programs.
Bachelor of Arts (Music Studies) (BA) or Bachelor of Arts (Music Studies Extension) (BA) - A three-year program designed to develop musicianship and ensemble performance skills. Studies include: musicology, music history, music perception and analysis, music technology and ethnomusicology. The BA does not require an audition and two streams of study are available:
Music Studies is for students with less formal training in music who wish to gain a general degree in music, one that explores music as part of the Liberal Arts.
Music Studies Extension provides a more comprehensive range of prescribed music courses and is intended as basic preparation for careers in music teaching. This stream is normally undertaken concurrently with the Bachelor of Education.
Bachelor of Arts (Music Studies Extension) / Bachelor of Education (BA/BEd) - A four-year dual degree program. Students in this program gain a professional secondary teaching qualification in Music and also in a second teaching specialisation. You will build your teaching skills and experience through practicum placements in high schools.
Diploma in Music - This program will not be offered in 2013 - This program may be taken concurrently with an undergraduate degree (other than music) at UNSW, or by candidates who have already completed a Bachelor degree in another field of study. The program provides training in musicology, musicianship skills and performance in an ensemble.
Download the 2013 Music Information Brochure (PDF) (511 Kb)
Level 1 Courses
Level 2 Courses
- ARTS2006 - Creative Practice Across Music and Dance
- MUSC2115 - Music of the 19th Century
- MUSC2116 - Sound, Society & Self in World Music
- MUSC2117 - Popular music
- MUSC2332 - Electronic Music
- MUSC2601 - Adv Studies in Music History and Culture
- MUSC2603 - Materials & Structures of Music 4
- MUSC2701 - Performance Lab 3
- MUSC2702 - Performance Lab 4
Level 3 Courses
- MUSC1703 - BA Performance Lab 1
- MUSC1706 - BA Performance Lab 2
- MUSC2602 - Materials and Structures 3
- MUSC3101 - Capstone: Ethical Practices in Music
- MUSC3104 - Contemplating Jazz
- MUSC3162 - Twentieth-Century Music
- MUSC3601 - Adv Studies in Music History & Culture 2
- MUSC3602 - Professional Practices
- MUSC3603 - Music Studio Teaching
- MUSC3604 - Investigating Music
- MUSC3605 - Synergies in Sound & Technology
- MUSC3701 - Performance Lab 5
- MUSC3702 - Performance Lab 6
Level 4 Courses
Please check the rules of your program before enrolling in any courses listed. For program rules, please visit the UNSW Online Handbook.
Resources & Important Documents